Mediation is a form of facilitated negotiation in which an impartial third party helps disputing parties attempt to reach a mutually satisfactory solution to their problems.
Mediation has been used successfully in many different kinds of conflicts.
Mediators bring disputing parties together (or sometimes shuttle between them), define the problem in terms of the interests and needs of each party, help generate creative solutions for how both sides needs can be met simultaneously, evaluate those options with objective criteria, and draft an agreement which accurately reflects what the parties have agreed to.
Mediation provides the following benefits:
- Cost savings
- Rapid scheduling and results
- Control over the outcome
- Greater satisfaction with the result
- Workable decisions that can be implemented and hold up over time
- Better compliance with the agreed upon terms
- Preservation of relationships
- Personal empowerment
Denver Mediation Center’s areas of expertise include: